Great Miami Rowing Center is in its 2nd year of hosting the Hamilton Dragon Boat Festival & Asian Culture Celebration. This signature community event, held on September 9th this year, includes teams of 22 paddlers, 1 steer, and 1 drummer racing in traditional Chinese dragon boats. The event will feature Asian Culture performances as well as a Water Recreation Village. The Dragon Boat Festival aligns with the rowing center’s mission of supporting recreational use of the Great Miami River in Hamilton. The Dragon Boat team and event sponsors support the Great Miami Rowing Center/Great Miami Crew in providing scholarships to youth and adaptive athletes, and funding capital improvement projects on the existing boathouse structure.
The Hamilton Dragon Boat Festival and Asian Culture Celebration is about community, culture, teamwork, and families. The teams are comprised of businesses, church and civic groups, school groups, municipalities, as well as experienced recreational paddlers. Each team has three days to practice at least once leading up to the race. Professional coaches and steerers are available to give you all the competitive advantage needed. On race day, each team will race three times until we’ve identified the boat with the fastest time to declare the winner.
Dragon Boat races began in China over 2,500 years ago. The Confucius Institute of Miami University and the Chinese Chamber of Commerce help to celebrate Chinese culture at the festival as well.
Free Race Day Activities include:
- Live entertainment
- Demonstrations of traditional Chinese dance, music, and martial arts
- Cheering on Dragon Boats racing head-to-head
- Water Recreation Village with hands-on activities for families that highlight safety and fun on and along the Great Miami River
Sound like Fun? Come Join Us!
- Sponsor with Dragon Boat: Become an event sponsor and gather your 20 of your closest friends, colleagues or Vikings to race in a boat with you! You and/or your company will receive recognition in signage and event announcements throughout the day.
- Sponsor without Dragon Boat: Don’t have your sea legs and would rather be a prominent supporter from the riverbank? No problem. Become a sponsor without a boat. Your entire contribution is tax deductible.
- Dragon Boat: If you’re all about the race, captain a boat with 22-25 fellow paddlers that you recruit or a ½ boat with 10-12 people to race.
- Volunteer: We’ll be hosting this year’s event at the Fitton Center on Second Street in Hamilton. If you want to get a behind the scenes look at how we run the Festival and like giving back to the community, we’ll have lots of volunteer needs that day. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED >> CLICK HERE << to sign-up online.
For a print out version of the Dragon Boat Festival Volunteer Form, please click here: Volunteer Signup Form – 2017 Hamilton Dragon Boat Festival.
- Have Stuff to Give?: We’ll take it! If you can’t be there, but have an excess supply of something that would come in handy for a crew hosting 500 people on the Great Miami (food, supplies, puppies), then give us a call.
- Interested? Still Have Questions? See the packet below, or download the Sponsorship Packet and Registration Form!